Head Robot Herder
South African born Backend Engineer living in the vibrant city of Berlin, Germany .
I enjoy learning new things every day. I like to counteract sitting at the keyboard with some hiking and exploring new parts of the city and its surroundings.
- English - native
- German - Spoken very good, written B1 level
Im an ardent reader and love to watch movies, maybe too much as it sucks away the time I could be learning something new or reading the multitude of unread books I have.
My only other vice except for copious amounts of coffee is good tv shows.
I also have a passion for tasting exotic / craft / microbrewed beers from around the world and would take a good beer over wine any day.
After years of semi professional ruby use, I know spend the majority of my time programming professionally in Ruby and using this to develop and maintain the companies Ruby on Rails based API.
I am proficient in many areas of Devops / Infrastructure management / Classical Sysops as this is what my previous roles were based on. After 12 years of classical System /Network Administration I moved to Berlin to work in an interesting startup where I started with a more Devops position working with powershell, ruby and puppet and maintaining the companies various Windows and Linux servers. This led ultimately to my goal of moving into a Backend Developer Position.
I still maintain the companies puppet based infrastructure automation system but am mainly focused on developing my skills as a ruby developer.
- Designing, implementing and maintaining the Rails based RESTful API
- Designing and implementing new features for this API which serves Pixformance's various front end clients
- Maintaining the Puppet infrastructure automation system that manages all the Pixformance stations in the field
- Upgrading a relatively large codebase from Rails 4.2 to Rails 5.2
- Migrated a large scale centralized geographically separate Active Directory Domain (1000 computers) to a decentralized fault tolerant fleet being managed exclusively by Puppet.
- Administer and maintain Linux Servers to manage this puppet site.
- Contribute to and help to maintain a Ruby on Rails Backend System to communicate with these machines.
- Monitor application reliability and assess potential problems using New Relic.
International School of Duesseldorf
- Responsible for a large network of 800 computers divided into 2 Active Directory Domains
- Responsible for the maintenance and support of 8 Servers including 2 Domain Controllers and a SQl Server
Solms Training and Consulting
- Responsible for designing and maintaining the colleges website
- Responsible for maintaining the network of lab computers running linux
A previous employer had a good mission statement which I strive to adhere to in my private and professional life. The phrase is: "Where Life Long Learning Begins" and it echoes my belief that you should never stand still and stagnate you should always be learning new things!
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA: Bsc Comp Sci Distance Learning : Pretoria, South Africa
I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science/Information Systems
2010 - 2015
SOLMS TRAINING AND CONSULTING cc, Emmarentia, South Africa
I passed the Exams and obtained the competency certificates for the following courses:
- Programming in Java
- Advanced Java
- Enterprise Java Beans
- Object Orientated Analysis and Design using UML
- Distributed Systems via CORBA
THE ZONE COMPUTER CAREER CAMPUS, Rivonia, South Africa
- A+ and N+ Courses (No exams written)
- MCP Windows 2000 (Microsoft Certified Professional)
- MCSE Windows 2000(Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)